[tdwg-content] EEA use case

Thomas Bandholtz thomas.bandholtz at innoq.com
Sat Nov 20 18:11:49 CET 2010

Am 19.11.2010 20:17, schrieb Peter DeVries:
> I have been working with  Søren to interlink our species lists, and
> many of the sources included on the EEA diagram are incorporated into
> my sparql endpoint.

Hi Peter,

i have seen these lists and some interlinking, very good pioneer work!

Søren has invented a "sameSpecies" property for such links.
It is a very good idea not to use owl:sameAs, as this would really merge
the two records.

But maybe "sameSpecies" is not the best solution.
At first, it should be "sameTaxon", so it can be used on any taxon rank
level.

Secondly, I wonder whether the two linked taxa would allways be the same.
There is a good solution for such issues in the skos mapping properties:
http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#mapping
There are predefined skos:closeMatch, skos:exactMatch, skos:broadMatch,
skos:narrowMatch and skos:relatedMatch sub-properties, and you may add
more specific flavors of mapping.

Best regards,
Thomas

Thomas Bandholtz, thomas.bandholtz at innoq.com, http://www.innoq.com