[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] Inclusion of authorship in DwC scientificName: good or bad?

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Fri Nov 19 14:54:53 CET 2010

We maintain another java based parser at GBIF for public use:
http://tools.gbif.org/nameparser/

Try it:
Centaurea affinis Friv. ssp. affinis var. affinis
Centaurea apiculata Ledeb. ssp. adpressa (Ledeb.) Dostál
Mycosphaerella eryngii (Fr. ex Duby) Johanson ex Oudem. 1897
Zophosis persis (Chatanay), 1914
Lithobius chibenus Ishii & Tamura (1994)
Ctenotus alacer Storr, 1970 ["1969"]
Anomalopus truncatus (Peters, 1876 ["1877"])

Even though 4 parted names are common in botany, only 3 parted names are covered by the code:
http://ibot.sav.sk/icbn/frameset/0028Ch3Sec5a024.htm

This is why our parsers and darwin core atomises to genus, species & infraspecific only and use a single authorship for the lowest combination.

Markus