[tdwg-tag] TAG Roadmap for 2008 - Job vacancy!

Roger Hyam rogerhyam at mac.com
Fri Oct 3 12:21:02 CEST 2008

Yes I think you are right a REST section would be good but.... What is
REST? In a way the TAPIR specification (especially in its lighter
versions) is 'just' a common REST specification. You pass it
parameters over HTTP and you get back data as XML. On the other hand
TAPIR seems more complex than just putting a REST service together.
Perhaps because doing anything that meets a specification rather than
just what comes to hand is going to be harder. Perhaps Renato may have
comments on this.

I have actually just done a REST/JSON service for BCI.

http://biocol.org/json

I am nervous because it is totally not TDWG standards compliant and
just a useful thing for getting data back for mashups and embedding.
Effectively exposing the database to client side applications.  From
an engineering point of view it is dead simple - a single PHP file
(within the Zend Framework). To write code to consume this is trivial
(there is an example) but it is bespoke. a major thing is that the
return type is JSON which I think many people think of a standard data
format for REST type services.

So it would be a good to get some clarification on what we mean by REST.

Does REST tend to imply a particular return type?

If we mean REST/JSON does anyone have an idea how we could get some
data typing in a JSON object so that a consuming application could
tell that it is a representation of a DwC object or something from the
TDWG ontology? Service description is also an issue. We end up re-
inventing TAPIR if we aren't careful.

I am sure it would be trivial to wrap a TAPIR provider in something
that converted the XML output to JSON enabling it to act as a data
source for client mashups.

As usual I'd be grateful for opinions on this. Perhaps we should talk
in Fremantle.

All the best,

Roger