[tdwg-tag] TAG Roadmap for 2008 - Job vacancy!

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Fri Oct 3 21:41:53 CEST 2008

Good question. It's also not easy for me to draw a line between RESTful
and RESTless services.

Although TAPIR is based on operations, which could be seen as something
closer to an RPC approach, it has just a few quite generic operations. On
the other hand, for sure TAPIR offers simple ways to interact with the
service and to easily expose URLs for any underlying resource (using the
term "resource" here in the general sense). REST junkies can even
configure re-write rules very easily on a web server to allow "cleaner"
URLs for resources that are exposed through a TAPIR service.

I don't think TAPIR is harder just because you need to follow a
specification - this could actually make things easier, obviously
depending on the complexity of the specification. Remember that TAPIR was
created to be used by distributed data providers who want to share the
same kind of data using the same protocol, so there's all that additional
stuff related with data abstraction, conceptual schemas, etc. The BCI
service seems to be built on top of a central database in a single data
provider scenario (or am I wrong?) so it's understandable not to use
TAPIR.

I think it was Wouter who found some time ago a generic XSLT to convert
any XML to JSON. I never used it and I'm not sure if I still have a copy
somewhere. A first step towards standardizing JSON representations for our
objects could be to play with this kind of generic stylesheet to convert
TDWG ontolgy objects represented in RDF/XML to JSON.

Best Regards,
--
Renato