[tdwg-guid] TDWG LSID Resolver broken?

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 20:33:12 CET 2007

Dear Rich,

> That's a question for Kevin Richards, mostly.  I guess a more general
> question is: how do we / should we automaticlly recurse up the
> "parentCitation" chain?  My thinking is "yes", but I'm not completely
> sure
> how to represent that (nested?).  I suppose I could flatten it out in
> the
> "parentCitationString" (which I only just now realized I havn't done
> yet --
> must have been on a "todo" list that disappeared).  But I wonder if
> there
> shouldn't be a more structured way of doing this for refs with
> n-number of
> parents/grandparents/etc.

 From my perspective, if there is a GUID for the reference then I don't
particularly care what the parent is (I can get that by querying the
GUID for the reference).

If, however, there's no GUID then I would want all the relevant
metadata to hand to be able to try and find one, I don't want to have
to go up citation tree to get the journal name, I just want to take the
bibliographic metadata in the RDF for the name and search for the GUID
(e.g., using an OpenURL resolver).

>> 3. The article in question has a DOI, hence it would be nice
>> to link to that (doi:10.1007/BF02725185). I know you're
>> working towards this, but without an external GUID for the
>> publication I think nomenclators will be of limited use.
>
> Agreed -- and yes, I am headed that way -- just limited to 24hrs/day
> right
> now -- only 22hrs/day, when you subtract sleep.... :-)

You get to sleep -- luxury! ;-)

> Anyway, many thanks....
>
> Also: something I thought you would comment on, and what I've been
> meaning
> to ask this list:  How to deal with HTML tags within data values?
> Note that
> the title: "<i>Belonoperca pylei</i>, a new species of
> seabass
> (Teleostei: Serranidae: Epinephelinae: Diploprionini) from the Cook
> Islands
> with comments on relationships among diploprionins"
>
> I markup the original data field with "...<i>...</i>..." tags to denote
> italics, but I'm not sure what to do with those tags when piping out
> metadata in RDF.  I could strip them easily enough --- but should I?

Personally I would strip out any formatting, especially from a field
that will be interpreted by other software. Furthermore, what would you
do if the metadata gets served in another format, such as n3, or JSON,
etc.?

Regards

Rod

> Thoughts/comments welcome....