[Tdwg-guid] Zoobank LSID Service

peter.hollas at thomson.com peter.hollas at thomson.com
Fri Sep 22 12:42:05 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of putting together the LSID service component of
Zoobank.org, after a few initial hiccups and difficulties I have a basic
service up and running in the development environment.

Now I have arrived at the contentious issue of what data/metadata to
return and in which flavour.

I have a few questions...

1. What format should I return the metadata response in? From
discussions with Roger it seems appropriate to go with RDF/TCS for the
metadata reponse. Would this be a good way to go, and does anyone have
any static examples of such a response?

2. If a Data service were implemented, should the response simply be the
LSID or the taxon name as we don't currently hold any holotype photos
etc.

2. Is there any standard scheme for LSID discovery? i.e. Would it be a
good/bad idea to extend the LSID service to allow machine queries of
LSIDs by taxon name rather than discovering them through the web
interface?

Any comments and suggestions are very welcome!

Regards, Peter.

Peter Hollas MSc BSc(hons) (Peter.Hollas at thomson.com)
Software Engineer / Systems Administrator
Thomson Zoological
Innovation Centre
York Science Park
Heslington