[tdwg-tag] [Fwd: [seek-kr-sms] Modeling large scale ontologies in OWL: Unmet needs (fwd)]

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Fri Sep 22 11:26:01 CEST 2006

Thanks for pointing this out Bob,

I find it hard to follow without knowing what LinkBase is for. Are they
trying to create an ontology that 'does anything'. The definition on the
Language and Communication website says:

    / LinKBase® is an expansive medical knowledge base that provides the
    "intelligence" used by all L&C applications./

I read this as "an ontology that will do anything our customers need".

He is arguing between two approaches. One may be suitable for one
purpose and another suitable for another purpose - even though it is
less elegant.

There is no 'correct' model to be discovered here only a model that is
useful for doing X.

Without a constrained definition of what X is there are no criteria to
say whether what is proposed is good. "Anything" is not a good
definition of X. Once you have an ontology for doing X you may discover
it is pretty good at doing Y but it will never be able to do everything.
Nothing can do everything - which is a pretty good argument for very
small ontologies :)

A model is merely a view onto reality from a particular perspective -
the perspective that seems important right now.

Large ontologies are things that people have spent a great deal of time
and money on and are therefore expected to be applicably in many ways.
This doesn't mean that they actually are applicable in many ways it just
means it would be nice if they were.

Just my thoughts and probably off the topic of OWL usage. I am sure, as
OWL goes, what is discussed is all technically true.

All the best,

Roger

 Roger Hyam
 Technical Architect