[Tdwg-tag] implementation of CIDOC-CRM

Karl-Heinz Lampe k.lampe.zfmk at uni-bonn.de
Fri Mar 3 13:20:48 CET 2006

Dear All,

Concerning the question of implementations of CIDOC CRM there might be a
misunderstanding. There are none because the CIDOC-CRM is a core ontology
which serves as (1) an intellectual guide to create schemata, formats,
profiles and (2) as a language for analysis of existing sources and models
for data integration (mapping). That means in this context that - on
addition to CIDOC-CRM - there is a need of a protocol (such as the OAI [open
archive initiative]) serving as means of transport.

NB the CIDOC CRM has been developed because of already existing different
schematas to make them commonly understandable. It was primarily not
developed to create new schemata (of course one can use it for that purpose
as a best practise guide). That is all for the time being.

Best

Karl

Ps: I am not in for the next two weeks.

Dr. Karl-Heinz Lampe

Head of Biodiversity Informatics, Curator

Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig (ZFMK)

Adenauerallee 160

53113 Bonn

Tel: ++49 (0)228 9122290   Fax: ++49 (0)228 9122291

http://www.zfmk.de

http://www. biodat.de

e-mail: k.lampe.zfmk at uni-bonn.de