[Tdwg-guid] Simple LSID resolver

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jun 15 00:13:06 CEST 2006

Dear Steve,

It's written in PHP, and is basically a cleaner version of the LSID
test.  I developed it on my iBook running Apache and PHP 4.3.10, and
deployed it on Fedora Core 4 with PHP 5. I've not tested it on Windows,
the issue would be whether the Net:DNS module I use to do the
resolution also works on Windows (who in their right mind uses Windows
as a server ;-)

Yep, the error reporting is bad, but I could work on this. It tries to
trap some errors and report them in XML, but I put it together when I
should have been listening to the talks at GUID2, so it's a bit rough
and ready.

Having a HTTP GET service sounds like a good idea, if it helps people
play with this stuff. Maybe it could be as simple as a convention that
if the "LSID" lacks a namespace and id (i.e., is just the authority)
the service returns metadata about the authority. For data, perhaps the
prefix "data" could be inserted before the LSID, rather like a lot of
static URLs have the format of the data embedded in them, such as
http://www.connotea.org/rss/recent/user/rdmpage?q=Formicidae (an RSS
feed).

Not elegant, but simple.

Regards