[Tdwg-guid] Simple LSID resolver

Steven Perry smperry at ku.edu
Wed Jun 14 18:07:42 CEST 2006

Hi Rod,

This is pretty cool.  What language is it in?  What kind of server does
it require (application server, apache, etc.)?

When I tried to put in an LSID that I knew didn't exist, I got an XML
parsing error.  No worries, since this is an early prototype, but I was
wondering if you're planning on trapping these kinds of errors and
returning an HTTP status code like 204 (NO_CONTENT), 404 (NOT_FOUND), or
410 (GONE), or if you had something else in mind.

I've also been thinking about an HTTP-GET based LSID resolution gateway
that might be exposed as a service.  It could support several additional
functions besides (the default) getMetadata():

getAuthorityInfo :: given an LSID, return information (in RDF) about the
authority extracted from the authority metadata
getData:: might work a bit differently from the spec in that it always
sends through HTTP and it tries to set the correct mime type.

However getMetadata is the critical function and these others may not,
upon more reflection, make much sense.

Given that we want to be able to integrate with existing semantic web
apps and tools that can't currently understand the LSID resolution
process, I think we'll come to depend upon these kinds of services.
They also provide convenience to developers who are working with
languages that don't yet have a resolution client API.  It might be nice
to work out how such a service ought to behave and present it to TAG.

-Steve