[Tdwg-guid] Simple LSID resolver

Kevin Richards richardsk at landcareresearch.co.nz
Thu Jun 15 11:32:03 CEST 2006

The theory is that most lsid resolvers/authorities will implement the
http get protocol for resolving lsids.
This means that:

http://example.org/authority/?lsid=urn:lsid.... will return the wsdl
equivalent to the getAvailableServices SOAP call

http://example.org/authority/data/?lsid=urn:lsid... will return the data
for that lsid

http://example.org/authority/metadata/?lsid=urn:lsid... will return the
metadata for that lsid

so why not just use these urls if you want to use urls?

Kevin

>>> Roderic Page <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk> 06/15/06 10:13 AM >>>
Dear Steve,

It's written in PHP, and is basically a cleaner version of the LSID
test.  I developed it on my iBook running Apache and PHP 4.3.10, and
deployed it on Fedora Core 4 with PHP 5. I've not tested it on Windows,

the issue would be whether the Net:DNS module I use to do the
resolution also works on Windows (who in their right mind uses Windows
as a server ;-)

Yep, the error reporting is bad, but I could work on this. It tries to
trap some errors and report them in XML, but I put it together when I
should have been listening to the talks at GUID2, so it's a bit rough
and ready.

Having a HTTP GET service sounds like a good idea, if it helps people
play with this stuff. Maybe it could be as simple as a convention that
if the "LSID" lacks a namespace and id (i.e., is just the authority)
the service returns metadata about the authority. For data, perhaps the

prefix "data" could be inserted before the LSID, rather like a lot of
static URLs have the format of the data embedded in them, such as
http://www.connotea.org/rss/recent/user/rdmpage?q=Formicidae (an RSS
feed).

Not elegant, but simple.

Regards

Rod

http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/portal/
>> Find out what we know about a species: http://ispecies.org
>> Rod's rants on phyloinformatics: http://iphylo.blogspot.com

Professor Roderic D. M. Page
Editor, Systematic Biology
DEEB, IBLS
Glasgow G12 8QP
United Kingdom

Phone:    +44 141 330 4778
Fax:      +44 141 330 2792
email:    r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
web:      http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/rod.html
iChat:    aim://rodpage1962

Biologists Website:  http://systematicbiology.org
Search for taxon names: http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/portal/
Find out what we know about a species: http://ispecies.org
Rod's rants on phyloinformatics: http://iphylo.blogspot.com

WARNING: This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or
privileged. They are intended for the addressee only and are not to be read,
used, copied or disseminated by anyone receiving them in error.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and

The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and do not
necessarily reflect the official views of Landcare Research.

Landcare Research
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz