[tdwg-tapir] AW: [PyWrapper-devel] WG: tapir: capabilities

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Wed Jul 19 17:11:00 CEST 2006

Right, Markus. I can see your point. You are correct that it should
be possible to dynamically process a query template refereced by a
view request.

But back to your original question, I still think it's fine to keep
the known output models as part of the search capabilities. Unless a
provider that wants to work with a specific set of output models for
some reason doesn't want to offer the search operation, only the view
operation. Can you see any reason for that?

So, maybe we should try to define how the view operation could be
used in different scenarios:

TAPIRLite providers
-----------------------------
(no support for the search operation)
Providers must advertise the query templates that are supported.
View requests must reference one of the supported query templates.

Intermediate TAPIR providers
(support search operation with "static" processing of output models)
Providers don't need to advertise query templates (optional), but
they do need to advertise the output models supported.
View requests must reference a query template that makes use of one
of the supported output models.

Full TAPIR providers
------------------------------
(support search operation with "dynamic" processing of output models)
Providers don't need to advertise any query templates or output
models (optional).
View requests must reference a query template that makes use of any
output model which references concepts that are mapped by the
provider.

I think this picture shows one of the ways of setting up a TAPIR
network based on the view operation. By defining one or more query
templates, it should be possible to seamlessly interact with
different types of TAPIR providers.

And since the idea of PyWrapper is to become full TAPIR provider, it
actually doesn't need to worry about advertising supported query
templates or output models.

Let me know if it all makes sense...
--
Renato