AW: [PyWrapper-devel] [tdwg-tapir] RE: WG: tapir: capabilities

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 19 19:32:33 CEST 2006

I appreciate that you will consider this request. I always thought it would
be trivial to implement. Your simulation mode sounds very much like what I
had in mind. I hadn't thought it necessary to get a response from a log
request, but if there was a simple response, it could be used as a ping, or
it could be used to retry logging until the provider did respond. So,
something like <log request received>. I think the addition of logOnly
attribute is a good one, and could apply to every request type.

Javi, I don't disagree that portals SHOULD log the data usage, especially to
cover the situations where a provider doesn't respond. I also think that
having the information logged at the provider is a responsible course of
action, since they will have immediate access to the usage statistics that
way. It will be much easier for a portal builder to send log requests than
it will be to build the infrastructure and interfaces to logs, therefore it
is more likely to actually get done.