[tdwg-tapir] FAQ page

Dave Vieglais vieglais at ku.edu
Fri Jan 13 16:02:30 CET 2006

Much of the confusion has come about I guess because DiGIR 2 is actually a
code name for a project that is building a data service application that
supports pluggable protocols.  There is no official name for that application,
and there is no release (yet).

So to try and help things a little:

DiGIR 2 is a data server application, not a protocol.  The application
supports multiple protocols for accessing the data it serves including:

* DiGIR 1.5 (i.e. the current version of DiGIR)
* TAPIR (may not be a full implementation)
* WFS (OGC Web Feature Service)
* possibly SPARQL (an RDF query language)

DiGIR 2 data server is being developed because we do not yet feel that there
is a single unifying protocol for our community, and that new protocols may
emerge and then different versions of the protocols will be developed.  Having
a single data service application that supports pluggable protocols will, we
hope, significantly reduce the maintenance and configuration overhead of those
interested in serving their data, since one the application is installed, we
expect it to be a relatively trivial matter to add protocols or updates to
existing protocols.

We will provide more information about the project as updates become available.

regards,
   Dave Vieglais