Use-case for multimedia objects

Robert Huber rhuber at WDC-MARE.ORG
Wed Jan 25 16:29:55 CET 2006

Dear Ricardo, Bob,

A good example on how multimedia obkjects can be treated can be found in
some of the online journals. Unfortunately I couldn't find an example, but
recently I found articles (has a DOI) which contain images each having an
own DOI. The journal itself has also a DOI, a nice hierarchy.

An Alternative to assigning GUIDs to each digital object, especially in
cases like the JPEG example
or CD ROM ISOs which can contain more than one file, would be to assign a
GUID to:
- a directory containing the files
- a metadata description
- a archive file which contains all elements.
Many possibilities, and I am sure there are more, and a good example that
there will be some degree of freedom in assigning GUIDs probably for every
use case?

best regards,
Robert