[tdwg-content] dcterms:creator

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Jan 14 17:13:26 CET 2011

Well, within one's own database I guess that would depend on the kind of
record structure you set up.  In RDF it is clearer.  For example in
http://www.biodiversitycollectionsindex.org/collection/rdf/id/35259
you see an RDF document that describes two things: the Vanderbilt
Arboretum, and the RDF document itself which describes the arboretum.
They are demarcated within separate XML container elements.  The element
<tc:Collection rdf:about="urn:lsid:biocol.org:col:35259">
contains the metadata about the Arboretum itself, which is a physical,
non-information resource.  The element
<rdf:Description
rdf:about="http://www.biodiversitycollectionsindex.org/collection/rdf/id/35259">

contains the metadata about the document describing the arboretum which
is an information resource deliverable via the web.  Both of these
elements include a dc:created property.  The arboretum's dc:created
property has a string literal value of "1988" because that's when the
arboretum was officially recognized as existing.  The document has a
dc:created property with a literal value of "2010-08-01 00:27:28"
because that was the date when the metadata document was first created
by Biodiversity Collections Index.

In another example:
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/baskauf/51899.rdf
the metadata describes an image, and the file containing the image
metadata.  The image description is in the
<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/baskauf/51899">
element with http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/baskauf/51899 being the
identifier for the image and the image metadata document description is
in the
<rdf:Description
rdf:about="http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/baskauf/51899.rdf">
element.  The image has a property
<dcterms:creator
rdf:resource="http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/contact/baskauf"/>
which says that the image was created by me (represented by the URI
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/contact/baskauf) and the metadata
document has a property
<dcterms:creator
rdf:resource="http://biocol.org/urn:lsid:biocol.org:col:35115"/>
which says that the metadata document was created by the Bioimages
collection (represented by the URI
http://biocol.org/urn:lsid:biocol.org:col:35115).

So in both of these examples, the RDF explicitly states what the
description is "about" by means of the rdf:about attribute in the
opening tag of the XML element.

Hope this helps and maybe somebody else can comment about this in other
contexts.
Steve

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu