[tdwg-content] GUIDs for publications (usages and names)

Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 04:08:17 CET 2011

I'm going to hop in here, with a glance toward Richard Pyle and Chris
Freeland, to see if they want to disagree with me [ :) ]...

I think it's safe to say that some of us are starting to think about
that. The attached figure is from: "Patterson, D.J., J. Cooper, P.M.
Kirk, R.L. Pyle, and D.P. Remsen (2010) Names are key to the big new
biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25(12): 686–691." In the
diagram of the GNA/GNI/GNUB architecture, you can see one vertical
path for names going from "Classifications & Lists" > Names index >
Name/Taxon reconciliation > Usage bank.

In parallel, on the right side, is the analogous flow of bibliographic
metadata. Right now, a lot more concerted thinking has been put into
the left side (the names part) than the right side (the bibliographic
citation part). But it's clear both have to happen. The names, of
course, come from that cited literature -- they aren't just born
floating around in the cloud!

Sometime Real Soon Now we're hoping to start defining the use cases,
needs, and requirements for that citation (and full-text paper)
treatment in a GNA/GNI/GNUB context. Definitely involved will be
wrestling with the concept that the bibliographic data for a taxonomic
work may well be deserving of a GUID in a way comparable to (but
possibly more complex) the need for a GUID (or DOI or somesuch) for a
published work itself.

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff