[tdwg-content] "Individual" use case

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 21:40:04 CET 2010

I was thinking about how to deal with the issue of "sets" of individuals in
an occurrence.

I have not modeled this yet to see if it would work, but one way that I
thought of is to add a predicate called "occurrenceCount"

If the occurrence count is greater than 1, then substitute "#Set" for
"#Individual.

Then occurrencehasSet and setHasOccurrence.

The other data that would have been assigned to the #Individual would not be
used for the #Set.

This would allow an #Occurrence to have a #Set of individuals rather than
one #Individual.

If you had samples from a mosquito trap with 500-5,000 specimens separated
into 10 different species, then the records would show that there are 10
occurrences that have a count and a #Set in which information about the
specimen jar etc. is recorded. For a number of mosquito studies, all of the
individuals are not saved. It would however make sense to keep at least one
representative of each species as a voucher.

In the example above this would mean that you would have 10 representative
"voucher" specimens for the collection event described above.

In a sense, this would create a record with the following meaning.

*This voucher specimen represents what I identified as Aedes vexans in this
set of specimens.*

Since a lot of this identification is being done by student helpers, this
provides some specimens to go back and look at if needed.

Respectfully,

- Pete

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology