[tdwg-content] What is dwc:basisOfRecord for?

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 2 01:12:40 CET 2010

Sorry for the delay. Just back from Tanzania.

The basisOfRecord is meant to classify the content of the resource (record)
as specifically as possible, in the sense of how the contributor of the
resource intended for it to be used. The value of the basisOfRecord should
be based on the most specific Class (a DwCtype) of information the resource
(record) represents. Thus, if an Occurrence record was supported by a
PreservedSpecimen as evidence, then the record containing the specimen
information should have PreservedSpecimen as the basisOfRecord. It's still
an Occurrence, because PreservedSpecimen is a formal refinement of an
Occurrence in the RDF sense of <rdfs:subClassOf  rdf:resource="
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/Occurrence"/>. So, your example record should
have PreservedSpecimen as its basisOfRecord, and that means it is an
Occurrence record, because all PreservedSpecimen records are.

Why have the Occurrence type? For consistency. We have one DwCType for every
DwC (or borrowed Dublin Core) Class. Yet, we are much more interested in the
peculiarities of Occurrences than we are in different types of, say, Events,
because of the implications for their use. So we have gone to the effort to
create several subclasses of Occurrence based on demonstrated requirements.

Why have a basisOfRecord at all? To assist the data consumer to know the
ways in which the resource (record) might be used. Without the basisOfRecord
term, the detailed content of the records would have to be assessed to
assert what the record was about.

Steve said,
"But realistically, any such table that includes multiple token types isn't
going to work very well."

and,

"basisOfRecord also has no use for Occurrences that have several tokens.
Which of the several tokens are we saying is the "basis" of the record?"

Why not? Nothing in Darwin Core says that you can't create a schema in which
an Occurrence is supported by multiple "tokens", each with its own
basisOfRecord. Of course, Simple Darwin Core doesn't support that, and maybe
that's where these perceptions of inadequacy come from.