[tdwg-content] dwc:associatedOccurrences

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 03:39:43 CEST 2010

Good idea, but it suffers from the same fate as might
associatedOccurrences  (not previously mentioned because I was after
some clarification in principle, with the herbarium duplicate sheets
only one current case of interest): I need to follow whatever the
community practice is of regarding a sheet as part of a duplicate set
distributed by the original collector.  I'm told by the people at the
Harvard University Herbaria that "duplicate" usually, but not always,
means from the same organism and same collection event---occasionally
people used to put several organisms on the same sheet, raising the
possibility that they are not even the same taxon. Worse,  the
different parts of the same organism might be catalogued as separate
specimens. In this case, an assertion that they are from the same
individual might be true and understandable, but the utility of that
assertion depends on your purpose. Consider a use case in which one
set of traditional duplicates all have a determination that is out of
date, but another specimen---say your acorn collected later from the
same tree---has a current determination.  For purposes of notifying
duplicate holders that a new determination has been made to the
original, the later acorn may not be interesting. This means that for
this use, a distributed query of the form "find all records with the
same dwc:individualID" is not as useful as "find all records with the
same dwc:eventID".

Also, as Mark writes, it doesn't address any other associatedOccurrences.

More generally, we are working on annotations of data records.
Probably what the real issue here is that associatedOccurrences is an
assertion about organisms, and we are making assertions about
occurrence data.

Robert A. Morris
Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston