[tdwg-content] dwc:associatedOccurrences

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Aug 24 07:16:43 CEST 2010

Several points:
1. The definition of dwc:individualID is an identifier for "an
individual or named group of individual organisms...".  Thus by this
definition a small population of organisms of the same species found
together can be considered an individual even if they are not biological
individuals.  The definition of individual is a functional one that
facilitates the common circumstance you describe where a collector
collects "duplicates" that aren't really duplicate individuals but are
considered to reliably be from the same species because the members of
the population are in close proximity and (hopefully) the collector took
care to collect only biological individuals of the same species.
2. If it is discovered that a sheet has individuals of two species, a
curator would undoubtedly create two records for the two species on the
sheet.  I can't imagine the curator would try to somehow cram the
metadata for the specimens of both species into the same record unless
the curator had some kind of special way of dealing with "specimens"
that were actually themselves collections of species.  The fact that the
occurrences described in the two records were on the same piece of paper
would not really be relevant other than that they would have the same
collection date, collector, etc. in the same way as would two specimens
of different species collected on the same day by the same collector
placed on two different papers.
3. I do not see why cataloging the two different parts of the same
organism as separate specimens would be any problem at all.  I've
collected from the same tree in different seasons to get leafy stems and
then winter twigs.  They are two dwc:Occurrences, each with its own set
of metadata properties, and its own identifier that happen to be from
the same individual.  People who do mark/recapture or repeated
observations of live organisms have multiple Occurrences from the same
individual all the time.
4. The issue that you bring up about the problem of different
determinations based on different specimens is not a problem if the
determinations are associated with the individuals rather than with the
Occurrences (i.e. specimens) as I suggest in the paper (see Fig. 8 on
p.30).  If the assertion is made that the individual from which the
first specimen is derived is owl:sameAs the individual from which the
second specimen is derived, then a client capable of drawing inferences
from RDF (e.g. a 'bot gleaning biodiversity metadata from many
institutions to build a large database) will apply determinations linked
to either of the individuals to both of them (since they are known to be
the same entity).  All of the determinations applied to the (now
singular) individual will be associated with both specimens through the
relationship of  each specimen to its source individual (i.e. its
dwc:individualID property).  Users of the resulting database would be
able to examine for either specimen the entire set of determinations
associated with the (formerly separate) individuals.  They could assess
the temporal order of the values of the determination's
dwc:dateIdentified properties (i.e. which is most "current") and assess
the weight to place on a particular determination based on the identity
of the determiner (dwc:identifiedBy property).  You say that the holders
of the original duplicates would not be interested in the determination
based on the acorn.  Really?  If the specimens and the acorn came from
the same tree, the curators certainly ought to be interested because the
tree couldn't simultaneously BE two different species (even if it had
two determinations)!

This suggested solution isn't intended to address all kinds of
associations, just the case of duplicates.  Some one else can take that
one on... :-)
Steve