[Tdwg-lit] Level 1 starting point

Donald Hobern dhobern at gbif.org
Fri Feb 10 09:51:31 CET 2006

Anna,

Thanks for this.  The main question I think needs to be clarified is how
much flexibility a data provider is to be allowed in completing the
human-readable string.  Clearly we do not expect to be able to perform
direct string comparisons between two provider's citations, so are these
just recommendations of components that should be included, or is the
intention to mandate a particular sequence of elements?  Which ones are
considered (at least more or less) mandatory, and which are optional?  I
guess we should provide some actual examples of "complete" and "partial"
citations and state whether they are regarded as sufficient.

Donald

Donald Hobern (dhobern at gbif.org)
Programme Officer for Data Access and Database Interoperability
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321483   Mobile: +45-28751483   Fax: +45-35321480

  _____