HTML in XML

Jim Croft jrc at ANBG.GOV.AU
Fri Dec 21 07:04:30 CET 2001

Leigh wrote:
> Except for this kind of usage. Mixed content is perfect for marking up
> free-form text. Bad for mapping data into data structures (in most
> cases a database).
> If I had XML data containing this structure, I'd simply store the contents
> as the raw XML.

This is how I would like to do business as well, but unfortunately once
you do this in common databases, they lose access to all the useful
structural stuff in there...

One day 'xml' might be a common database content type, up there with
text, integers, real numbers, dates and the like, with real database
facilities to manage and use this content... maybe it is already
there... somewhere...

jim