[tdwg] Interesting example of tree navigation

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Sep 14 00:46:20 CEST 2007

Speak of the...umm...devil... :-)

> This is essentially a "degree-of-interest" tree, which has been
> around for a while (e.g.,

http://www.parc.xerox.com/research/projects/sensemaking/visualization_intera
ction/default.html)
> and the underlying concept dates back to the '80s.

What was that tool you had implemented for visualizing trees, which I
referenced in my previous email?

> It looks nice, but the hierarchy shown is shallow and
> not too broad. That said, this would be a fun way to
> display a classification like ITIS. However, at some
> point we need to ask whether "fun" translates into usability.

This is a good point.  Usability needs to trump sex appeal.  But "fun" can
do something that usability oftentimes can't:  engage people who might
otherwise not be engaged.

All new approaches to interface haves hampered usability in the beginning.
The question is, is it simply a matter of getting used to a new interface,
or does the interface just plain suck even after you get to know how to use
it?  You can't always tell from first impressions.

> Some of the coolest visualisations turn out to be difficult to use (
> e.g., hyperbolic trees).

That's it!  Hyperbolic trees.  I, for one, found it very useful.

Rich