[tdwg] Interesting example of tree navigation

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Sep 14 00:41:17 CEST 2007

Open source is definitely the way to go with EoL, of course.  But I was
thinking more in terms of the presentation style.  Not for scientists,
necessarily, but for "regular folk" who want to be able to navigate the
deep/righ world of biodiversity informatics in an intuitive way.  If the
schematic.com approach is scalable (by several orders of magnitude -- both
in breadth and depth), then I think it has great potential.  I'm thinking of
tumbnail images of (say) species on each of the tiles, which when zoomed out
far enough meld together into representative thumbnails of families...and so
on.  The maginified highlight for trees are also very functional and
intuitive.

Rod page had another dynamic interface a couple years ago, but I forget the
name.

Rich

  _____