[tdwg] Interesting example of tree navigation

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 00:34:40 CEST 2007

This is essentially a "degree-of-interest" tree, which has been
around for a while (e.g.,
  http://www.parc.xerox.com/research/projects/sensemaking/
visualization_interaction/default.html) and the underlying concept
dates back to the '80s. It looks nice, but the hierarchy shown is
shallow and not too broad. That said, this would be a fun way to
display a classification like ITIS. However, at some point we need to
ask whether "fun" translates into usability.

Some of the coolest visualisations turn out to be difficult to use
(e.g., hyperbolic trees).

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page