[tdwg-tag] Specimen identifiers

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Feb 23 23:12:52 CET 2012

I certainly agree; but we've been talking about shared identifiers for more
than twenty years now, and that hasn't gotten us anywhere either.  In fact,
the focus on that goal may have hampered or delayed the development of the
"matrix".

I used to be a HUGE proponent of shared identifiers, back in the day.  It
seemed like the obvious answer to data integration.  But I've come to
realize that the silos exist, and each silo has its own way of doing things
that relies on their own internal identifiers, and in most cases, the silos
don't have the resources (or the motivation) to update their systems to
incorporate shared identifiers. Speaking as someone who manages the natural
sciences data resources for a Museum, I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to make that
sort of investment unless there were universally acknowledged identifiers
for the data objects I manage (which, for most of our classes of data
objects, there decidedly is not). I'd much rather leave my legacy systems in
place, then build a small indexing system that cross-links my own
identifiers to the ones that exist "out there" (TSNs, LSIDs, DOIs, OCLC,
ISSN/ISBN, etc.).  If others do the same, then I see that as a first step
towards building a bridge between the silos.

By far, the most arduous part in the process is reconciling one's own
identifiers against the identifiers of other data sources.  This is
particularly messy for items that are otherwise identified with "noisy text"
- like taxon names, people names, place names, and literature citations
(which, collectively, represent by far the bulk of the records that overlap
among datasets, and hence are the identifiers we stand the most to gain from
by sharing the same identifiers.  This work would have to be done anyway -
regardless of whether we aimed for a shared identifier approach, or a
cross-mapped identifier approach.  With the mapped-identifier approach,
that's almost all the work that needs to be done.  With the shared
identifier approach, it's only part of the work that would need to be done -
the other part is to upgrade all the applications used by all the silos to
incorporate the shared identifers.  And, of course, there's the problem with
actually converging on what the shared identifiers are.

It is indeed wishful thinking that by building the infrastructure, the
identifiers will coalesce.  However, it is also wishful thinking that all
the players will ever come to an agreement on what the "one true" identifier
is for shared objects, and moreover devote the necessary resources to
convert existing systems to accommodate them.  I've come to believe that the
former wishful thinking is more plausible (if only slightly) than the latter
wishful thinking.  Also, the latter has had more time to demonstrate its
infeasibility.

Aloha,

Rich