[tdwg-tag] Specimen identifiers

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 22:54:27 CET 2012

Dear Rich,

I guess I'd argue the reverse, in that pumping data out with unique identifiers demonstrably doesn't get us very far. We've had "globally unique", "persistent", and "actionable"  identifiers for years (LSIDs, URLs, DOIs, etc.) and very little to show for it. In other words, there isn't a biodiversity informatics "matrix" to "plug in" to. Building a "cross-mapping service" is not necessarily simple, again because the individual data providers rarely use existing identifiers for things outside their domain. Hence we have text strings for literature when perfectly good identifiers exist.

The benefits of the "matrix" come from the links, and we aren't providing them. The notion this is all going to magically coalesce at some unspecified point in the future strikes me as wishful thinking. Someone is soon going to point out that the Emperor has no clothes...

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy