[tdwg-humboldt] meeting this week

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 16 17:34:07 UTC 2023

I'm sharing some comments inline. These are accompanied by comments and
suggestions in the Event Hierarchy document.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 6:29 AM Rob Stevenson <rdstevenson10 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Humboldt Core TG
>
> Below are notes from Wednesday.  John, your asynchronous input would be
> especially helpful because we know you will not be able to attend the next
> meeting. If I have misinterpreted something or someone, please jump in and
> make a correction.
>
> Thanks
> Rob
>
> On Wednesday (2023/07/12), Steve, Peter, Zach, Wesley and I met and had
> fruitful discussions about points 6 and 7 in section 3.3 of the Properties
> of hierarchical Events in Humboldt Extension for ecological inventories
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r_XMEgB7p7OI7a5Ouq6G9oa7LmQFPcFhZZCLD9gWOIE/edit>.
> These are points John wrote to give guidance for applying the Humboldt
> Extension.
>

> The discussion was around whether the phrasing was too prescriptive.
> Wesley asked “Could we come up with counter examples?”. Wesley will write a
> few sentences to encapsulate the issue. Peter felt the wording may not be
> necessary.
>

> Peter showed us several inventories from BioCollect and described how they
> fit into the Humboldt extension model. The BioCollect model uses a survey
> template that can be applied repeated to a collection event and allows many
> kinds of observations and measurements to be made. The series of collection
> events together make a dataset.  In Humboldt terms this dataset is a parent
> Event. To facilitate reuse each survey template is made up of a variety of
> observation and measurement protocols that can be bundled together as
> needed to make different survey templates.

Just to clarify, this doesn't present any problems to what we have defined
in the Event Hierarchies document, correct?

> Zach described how the Field Museum’s Rapid Inventories in which teams of
> biologists document biodiversity of different taxa ( plants, fishes,
> amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals) using a variety of methods at
> one site and within one timeframe
> <https://www.rapidinventories.fieldmuseum.org/what-is-a-rapid-inventory>
> are being represented as one Event at the highest level.

Again, just to clarify, this doesn't present any problems to what we have
defined in the Event Hierarchies document, correct?

> Tim added a comment to the document asking that we consider rewriting the
> definition of
>

> He said “I think this definition might be improved. An inventory is a
> complete list of something, but the definition doesn't capture this, only
> referring to the activities used in the methodology. Perhaps something like:
>
> "An inventory dataset accounts for all targeted organisms and measurements
> recorded while following a structured sampling protocol. Observations and
> measurements are captured in one or more dwc:Events that MAY..."

I commented in the text that it doesn't seem to me that completeness is a
requirement, but that the rest seems reasonable.

> This request is in line with our discussion on Wednesday.
>

> Our discussion suggested it would be helpful to put in some kind of
> clarifying statement about what the lowest level Event might contain.

This is a good idea to be clarified with examples, as long as it is not
proscriptive. I think the most common lowest-level Events would actually be
Occurrences, at least in the Unified Model, where Occurrences are one type
of Event.

> My current understanding is that this lowest level might contain just a
> one zero to represent the event that occurred but that no occurrence was
> found or NA that a measurement was attempted but the measurement failed for
> some reason. On the complexity end of the spectrum of what an event could
> contain, Peter gave an example (see text at the bottom of the document) of
> an event pointing to an array of observations and measurements based on a
> survey template for Vegetation condition assessment.  In a flattened (2D)
> database this would take 40 records (rows) to represent what was part of
> the event. Peter gave a second example about birds in which he added a
> screen shot from the BioCollect application. Here again multiple records
> are needed to contain the information in a flatten form.
>

> This brings up the point of discussion in the meeting. Peter said that
> each event and each occurrence will have their own ids.  This would mean if
> one flattered an event and selectively removed species occurrence records
> containing the occurrence ID that they could be traced back to the event in
> which the collection took place.

Is that supposed to be "they could not be traced"? I;m sorry I could not
make it to the meeting. I am having a hard time understanding the issue.

> The group hopes that others who could not attend have insights into the
> issues and the descriptions. We felt John's comments would be very
> important because of his knowledge about the new GBIF model.

I hope the comments I made cover this, but I suspect it might require more
interactive discussion to unravel completely.

>>> 2023-xx-xx Part of TDWG Standard: http://www.tdwg.org/standards/450