[tdwg-humboldt] meeting this week

Rob Stevenson rdstevenson10 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 09:29:14 UTC 2023

Dear Humboldt Core TG

Below are notes from Wednesday.  John, your asynchronous input would be
especially helpful because we know you will not be able to attend the next
meeting. If I have misinterpreted something or someone, please jump in and
make a correction.

Thanks
Rob

On Wednesday (2023/07/12), Steve, Peter, Zach, Wesley and I met and had
fruitful discussions about points 6 and 7 in section 3.3 of the Properties
of hierarchical Events in Humboldt Extension for ecological inventories
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r_XMEgB7p7OI7a5Ouq6G9oa7LmQFPcFhZZCLD9gWOIE/edit>.
These are points John wrote to give guidance for applying the Humboldt
Extension.

The discussion was around whether the phrasing was too prescriptive.
Wesley asked “Could we come up with counter examples?”. Wesley will write a
few sentences to encapsulate the issue. Peter felt the wording may not be
necessary.

Peter showed us several inventories from BioCollect and described how they
fit into the Humboldt extension model. The BioCollect model uses a survey
template that can be applied repeated to a collection event and allows many
kinds of observations and measurements to be made. The series of collection
events together make a dataset.  In Humboldt terms this dataset is a parent
Event. To facilitate reuse each survey template is made up of a variety of
observation and measurement protocols that can be bundled together as
needed to make different survey templates.

Zach described how the Field Museum’s Rapid Inventories in which teams of
biologists document biodiversity of different taxa ( plants, fishes,
amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals) using a variety of methods at one
site and within one timeframe
<https://www.rapidinventories.fieldmuseum.org/what-is-a-rapid-inventory>
are being represented as one Event at the highest level.

Tim added a comment to the document asking that we consider rewriting the
definition of

He said “I think this definition might be improved. An inventory is a
complete list of something, but the definition doesn't capture this, only
referring to the activities used in the methodology. Perhaps something like:

"An inventory dataset accounts for all targeted organisms and measurements
recorded while following a structured sampling protocol. Observations and
measurements are captured in one or more dwc:Events that MAY..."

This request is in line with our discussion on Wednesday.

Our discussion suggested it would be helpful to put in some kind of
clarifying statement about what the lowest level Event might contain. My
current understanding is that this lowest level might contain just a one
zero to represent the event that occurred but that no occurrence was found
or NA that a measurement was attempted but the measurement failed for some
reason. On the complexity end of the spectrum of what an event could
contain, Peter gave an example (see text at the bottom of the document) of
an event pointing to an array of observations and measurements based on a
survey template for Vegetation condition assessment.  In a flattened (2D)
database this would take 40 records (rows) to represent what was part of
the event. Peter gave a second example about birds in which he added a
screen shot from the BioCollect application. Here again multiple records
are needed to contain the information in a flatten form.

This brings up the point of discussion in the meeting. Peter said that each
event and each occurrence will have their own ids.  This would mean if one
flattered an event and selectively removed species occurrence records
containing the occurrence ID that they could be traced back to the event in
which the collection took place.

The group hopes that others who could not attend have insights into the
issues and the descriptions. We felt John's comments would be very
important because of his knowledge about the new GBIF model.

--
Robert D Stevenson
Associate Professor