[tdwg-humboldt] How to populate/interpret eco:isTaxonomicScopeFullyReported if dwc:Event caught nothing/something outside of eco:targetTaxonomicScope?

Yi Ming Gan ymgan at naturalsciences.be
Fri Aug 4 08:33:31 UTC 2023

Thank you so much Wesley! I appreciate your perspectives!

I agree with your interpretation of eco:isAbsenceReported and eco:isTaxonomicScopeFullyReported. That means the definition of the terms are clear (if the values are true or false), yay!

However, I am still looking for the answer of my first question - If nothing was caught in a trawl Event. Should eco:isTaxonomicScopeFullyReported (defined as "Every dwc:Organism that was included within the taxonomic scope, and was detected during the dwc:Event, was reported.”) be true, false or null? Is “nothing” considers as “within" eco:targetTaxonomicScope? If “nothing" is not considered as part of eco:targetTaxonomicScope, then eco:isTaxonomicScopeFullyReported will receive a false. If that’s the case, the user cannot make inference of non-detection of taxa within the eco:targetTaxonomicScope.

The reason I included eco:isAbsenceReported in the table I made was because this term is not restricted to the scopes. If there is only one Occurrence associated with the Event that says Animalia, occurrenceStatus=absent, hence eco:isAbsenceReported=true, it MAY be interpreted as none of my taxa in eco:targetTaxonomicScope (if they all belong to Animalia) and by-catch that is animal was caught.

Thanks again!!

Cheers
Ming