[tdwg-humboldt] How to populate/interpret eco:isTaxonomicScopeFullyReported if dwc:Event caught nothing/something outside of eco:targetTaxonomicScope?

Yi Ming Gan ymgan at naturalsciences.be
Thu Aug 3 10:10:32 UTC 2023

Hi all,

In my attempt to use Humboldt Extension to infer non-detection, I arrived at this question because it is not clear to me how to use null in the following situation.

Should eco:isTaxonomicScopeFullyReported (previously eco:isTaxonomicScopeComplete) be "true", "false" or null if an dwc:Event do not catch anything within the eco:targetTaxonomicScope and eco:isAbsenceReported == "false"?

I illustrate my understanding in the table below:

  *   assume that all the catch are reported in the Occurrence extension

eventID catch   eventRemarks    targetTaxonomicScope (taxa are pipe-separated)  isAbsenceReported       isTaxonomicScopeFullyReported   can infer non-detection of taxa within targetTaxonomicScope?
event_001       A
A | B   false   true    true
event_002       A
A | B   false   false   false
event_003       A, C
A | B   false   true    true
event_004
by-catch only   A | B   false   true    true
event_005
by-catch only   A | B   false   false   false
event_006
by-catch only   A | B   false
false
event_007
caught nothing  A | B   false   true    true
event_008
caught nothing  A | B   false   false   false
event_009
caught nothing  A | B   false
false

How can I distinguish:

  *   an dwc:Event caught by-catch only, but did not report it (no dwc:Occurrence record associates with the dwc:Event)
  *   an dwc:Event caught nothing at all

Is this distinction important? Can someone with ecology or relevant background please comment? @Rob Stevenson<mailto:rdstevenson10 at gmail.com> maybe?
Thanks a lot!

Cheers