[tdwg-content] Question about Simple Darwin Core

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 19 20:18:05 CEST 2009

Welcome Jaime,

This is the right place for your questions. It looks like you have the
right idea about the XML, but there are a few details that are wrong.
For reference, it may be useful for you to have a look at the Darwin
Core XML Guide (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/guides/xml/index.htm),
which is accessible from the index at the left side of all of the
Darwin Core pages. The Guide explains some best practices and gives
some examples. Section 2.6 is specifically about the Simple Darwin
Core and has a link to a complete Simple Darwin Core XML document at
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/examples/xml/example_simple.xml.

Answers to your questions:
1) almost - it should be Occurrence, but it should be for the term
dc:type, not dctype:type
2) Yes. Add as much information as makes sense for the type of record
you are sharing.

Now, some specific things I see in your example...

1) <dctype:type>Ocurrence</dc:type> should be  <dc:type>Ocurrence</dc:type>

2) <dcterms:modified>2009-08-03</dcterms:modified> should be
<dc:modified>2009-08-03</dc:modified> and so with all of the other
Dublin Core terms since your namesapce declaration for Dublin Core is
"dc", not "dcterms" in the line that says
xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"

3) The institutionID should be a persistent global unique identifier,
if possible.

4) dataGeneralizations  - nice!

5) occurrenceDetails - I know it's just an example, but localhost
isn't going to have the details except in a very special situation.
;-)

6) recordedBy - this is supposed to be the observer's name, you have
"510183 ". That trailing space probably shouldn't be there either.

7) <dwc:individualCount> </dwc:individualCount> should be
<dwc:individualCount  xsi:nil="true"/>

8) You have <dwc:disposition>photograph</dwc:disposition>, but this
term is meant to contain information about the status of an object
object with respect to a collection ("in collection", "lost", etc.).
You should use the dwc:preparations term instead.

9) localhost again

Hope this is helpful. Thanks for trying out the brand new Darwin Core!

John