[tdwg-content] Question about Simple Darwin Core

Jaime Bosque jaboto at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 19:11:58 CEST 2009

Hi list,

this is my first e-mail in a list like this so hope I'm doing it right
at the right place :)

I'm developing a web application about orchids observations from users
and would like to allow them to download the observation (or a group of
them) in Simple Darwin Core formatted as XML.

I've been reading a useful guide in
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/simple/index.htm and have written my PHP
generator but I'm still having some questions regarding to the use of it.

1.- I guess I should use Occurrence in dc:type
2.- Can I add any taxonomical information even if its an Occurrence? I
think I can and in fact I should, as in the guide says: "Support
(provide data in) as many fields as you can.".

So, with this facts, is this a correct Simple Darwin Core xml file?
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SimpleDarwinRecordSet
 xmlns="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwcrecord/"
 xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
 xmlns:dwc="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/"
 xsi:schemaLocation="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwcrecord/
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/xsd/tdwg_dwc_simple.xsd">
 <SimpleDarwinRecord>
    <dctype:type>Ocurrence</dc:type>
    <dcterms:modified>2009-08-03</dcterms:modified>
    <dcterms:language>es</dcterms:language>
    <dcterms:rights>Contenido bajo licencia Creative Commons
3.0</dcterms:rights>
    <dcterms:rightsHolder>Asociación Ibérica de
Orquideología</dcterms:rightsHolder>
    <dcterms:accessRights>Para uso no comercial
únicamente</dcterms:accessRights>
    <dwc:institutionID>NIF AIO: XXXXXXX</dwc:institutionID>
    <dwc:institutionCode>AIO</dwc:institutionCode>
    <dwc:basisOfRecord>HumanObservation</dwc:basisOfRecord>
    <dwc:informationWithheld>Consultar a la Asociación Ibérica de
Orquideología para más detalles acerca de la
observación</dwc:informationWithheld>
    <dwc:dataGeneralizations>La información mostrada se muestra con una
imprecisión variable de 11 metros a 11 kilómetros. Para una información
más precisa consultar a la Asociación Ibérica de
Orquideología</dwc:dataGeneralizations>
    <dwc:catalogNumber>160</dwc:catalogNumber>

<dwc:occurrenceDetails>http://localhost/pfc/app/base.php?contet=view_observation&id=160</dwc:occurrenceDetails>
    <dwc:occurrenceRemarks>una apífera en jaca</dwc:occurrenceRemarks>
    <dwc:recordedBy>510183 </dwc:recordedBy>
    <dwc:individualCount> </dwc:individualCount>
    <dwc:disposition>photograph</dwc:disposition>

<dwc:associatedMedia>http://localhost/pfc/app/uploads/da77dc5ea69b06b66ce6cbb9f069ea2b.jpeg</dwc:associatedMedia>
    <dwc:country>Spain</dwc:country>
    <dwc:stateProvince>Huesca</dwc:stateProvince>
    <dwc:county>Aragón</dwc:county>
    <dwc:municipality>Borau</dwc:municipality>
    <dwc:verbatimElevation>935 m</dwc:verbatimElevation>
    <dwc:verbatimCoordinateSystem>decimal
degrees</dwc:verbatimCoordinateSystem>
    <dwc:verbatimSRS>WGS84</dwc:verbatimSRS>
    <dwc:decimalLatitude>42.63500</dwc:decimalLatitude>
    <dwc:decimalLongitude>-0.58500</dwc:decimalLongitude>
    <dwc:geodeticDatum>WGS84</dwc:geodeticDatum>

<dwc:coordinateUncertaintyInMeters>1111</dwc:coordinateUncertaintyInMeters>
    <dwc:scientificName>Ophrys apifera</dwc:scientificName>
    <dwc:kingdom>Plantae</dwc:kingdom>
    <dwc:phylum>Magnoliophyta</dwc:phylum>
    <dwc:class>Liliopsida</dwc:class>
    <dwc:order>Orchidales</dwc:order>
    <dwc:family>Orchidaceae</dwc:family>
    <dwc:genus>Ophrys</dwc:genus>
    <dwc:specificEpithet>apifera</dwc:specificEpithet>
    <dwc:taxonRank>species</dwc:taxonRank>
    </SimpleDarwinRecord>
</SimpleDarwinRecordSet>

Thanks in advance,