[tdwg-spm] Subscribing to TDWG sessions

Cynthia Parr parrc at si.edu
Mon Oct 26 20:12:43 CET 2009

For those of you on this list attending TDWG 2009 in Montpellier, today is
the deadline for submitting preferences for the sessions.

I strongly encourage you to submit your preference to attend the
SPM/Biological Description Interest group working sessions which are
Sessions 6 and 7 on Tuesday. Gregor and I have planned back-to-back sessions
as scope of standards like SPM and SDD range from general descriptive
summaries to more atomized descriptions, and one of the things we need to do
is discuss how best to ensure semantic connections across databases and
schemas so that discovery and analysis can proceed intelligently, no matter
what the scale of the original data.

In Session 6 we will have only two or three introductory talks to set the
stage for discussion on a mechanism for proposing and approving new terms
and relationships that takes advantage of the fact that SPM is an
RDF-oriented standard.  What I have in mind is taking advantage of GBIF's
vocabulary server to extend SPM; we'd also take maximum advantage of this as
we aggregate information on Encyclopedia of Life. The general idea is to
promote inclusiveness in vocabulary while ensuring that SPM can help tie
species-level descriptions together in machine readable ways. We'll also
talk about refining some of the definitions of existing terms that have
proven difficult in practice.  I will send out some background material this
week in preparation for this discussion.

Perhaps Gregor can comment on the goals for Session 7.

Cyndy

Cyndy

--
Cynthia Sims Parr