[tdwg-content] Conflict between DarwinCore and DublinCore usageof dcterms:type / basisOfRecord

Markus Döring m.doering at mac.com
Mon Oct 26 15:53:55 CET 2009

Hi,
late in the discussion, but I would like to shed some light into using
darwin core for taxonomic data exchange, not "occurrences".
Would the following example make sense?

dc:type=Dataset
dwc:basisOfRecord= TaxonName
dwc:recordClass=Taxon
dwc:scientificName=Abies alba Mill.

dwc:basisOfRecord and dwc:recordClass seems redundant. What is the
need to have both?
PreservedSpecimen implies its an occurrence and TaxonName implies a
Taxon class. Isnt this yet another class hierarchy that is flattened
to share different levels of granularity for different clients?

Markus