[tdwg-tag] [tdwg-rdf: 103] Re: Any TCS users with experiences to report?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Nov 27 01:18:00 CET 2012

I want to get into this topic in more detail (going back to Steve's original
post), but this week is hell-week for me, so only a quick comment now.

I generally agree with everything Nico says, but I think we need to be a
little more clear of what we mean by "name sec. author"

The core unit of the data model we've been building towards (GNUB, which
underlies ZooBank) uses as its fundamental unit something we've been calling
a "Taxon Name Usage Instance" (TNU).  The scope of what can be a TNU is
intentionally very broad - anything from an original taxon name description,
to a mention in a newspaper article, and potentially even a scribbled
hand-written label or letter.  The only requirement is that it be static -
that is, a snapshot in time.  I mention this because database records can be
represented as TNUs, but only as a static snapshot of the record.  If the
essence of the database record changes over time (e.g., due to changing
taxonomic opinion), then a new TNU is generated for a different snapshot in
time.

A very small subset of the universe of TNUs represent Code-governed
Nomenclatural Acts (original descriptions of new names and other
code-governed nomenclatural actions). In the case of such TNUs involving the
ICZN Code (for example), the TNUs are registered in ZooBank.  But the point
is, one subset of all TNUs are those that involve actions governed by a Code
of nomenclature.

The reason I mention this is that, if I read Nico's email correctly, I think
he's saying that not all TNUs de-facto represent taxon concepts.  Rather,
analogous to the nomenclatural subset of TNUs, there is a subset of TNUs
that rise to the level of representing Taxon Concept definitions.  In the
case of nomenclatural acts, someone must make some sort of declaration
(assertion) that a specific TNU constitutes a Code-governed nomenclatural
act, along with relevant metadata relating to that assertion and the nature
of the Act.  In the case of zoological names, ZooBank is intended to
facilitate this role (i.e., when a person registers a TNU in ZooBank, there
is an implied assertion that the TNU represents a nomenclatural act under
the ICZN Code).

What would be nice to have (and what TDWG could play a helpful role in
facilitating), is a registry of sorts (analogous to ZooBank) for those TNUs
that represent taxon concepts.  In other words, a mechanism for people to
"register" the subset of all TNUs that represent taxon concepts.
Secondarily, there would also be a mechanism to make assertions about how
registered taxon concepts map to each other (via some sort of set theory
relationship[s]).

In summary, my points are

1)      We should be clear when we say "name sec. author" whether we mean it
sensu lato (i.e., all TNUs); or sensu stricto (i.e., only those TNUs that
rise to the level of representing taxon concepts).

2)      There ought to be a registry (perhaps administered by CoL?) for
identifying the subset of TNUs that represent concept definitions, and it
should include a mechanism for making set-theory relationship assertions
among registered concept-TNUs.

3)      The two things mentioned in #2 should be separate; that is, one can
assert that a particular TNU represents a taxon concept separately from
(potentially multiple) assertions about how that taxon concept relates to
other taxon concepts.

More later.

Aloha,

Rich