[tdwg-tag] namespaces

Nico Cellinese ncellinese at flmnh.ufl.edu
Mon Nov 15 20:37:08 CET 2010

> Jim (who proposed Wallace Core as a working title for an ontology
> project, to stick it to that glory seeker Darwin and because the
> abbreviation WC: was somehow descriptive of where things were going)

OMG! I am peeing in my pants!  First a picture of a mermaid (BTW I liked the bra, assuming she was not naked!), then WC as an acronym (a gem). This is getting much better than Taxacom where somebody just suggested to get rid of ITIS and CoL. Life is fun indeed!

Nico

> On Tuesday, November 16, 2010, Steve Baskauf
> <steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Not to throw cold water on a cute idea, but would it be good to
>> consider possible confusion/trademark issues with the National Audubon
>> Society, which is generically known as "Audubon"?
>> Steve
>>
>> Bob Morris wrote:
>>
>>  Much as I would love to be the convenor of mrmd, I must concede that
>> Audubon Core has way more marketability.
>>
>> Two issues then arise: 1. An acronym for use in name spaces and
>> communication; 2. the need(?) for a word to replace "core" in
>> describing the most important terms in the proposed standard, and
>> which are the ones we suggest are the minimal set that implementers of
>> consuming software should be prepared to handle gracefully. Audubon
>> Core Core sounds silly and confusing to me.
>>
>> As to 1., I somewhat favor some form of adbn. Or if we must end it in
>> "c" and can't tolerate adbnc, then maybe adnc (resp. AdnC).
>>
>> As to 2, I have no suggestion
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com>?<g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>    Audubon Core.
>>
>> (and the abbreviation could be AC)
>>
>> Gregor
>>

>> --
>> Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
>> Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences
>>
>> postal mail address:
>> VU Station B 351634
>> Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.
>>
>> delivery address:
>> 2125 Stevenson Center
>> 1161 21st Ave., S.
>> Nashville, TN 37235
>>
>> office: 2128 Stevenson Center
>> phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707
>> http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu
>>

> --
> _________________
> Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~
> http://www.google.com/profiles/jim.croft
> 'A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point
> of doubtful sanity.'
> - Robert Frost, poet (1874-1963)
>
> Please send URIs, not attachments:

> End of tdwg-tag Digest, Vol 55, Issue 8
> ***************************************

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Nico Cellinese, Ph.D.
Assistant Curator, Herbarium & Informatics
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biology

Florida Museum of Natural History
University of Florida
354 Dickinson Hall, PO Box 117800
Gainesville, FL 32611-7800, U.S.A.