[tdwg-tag] Unresloved technical issues - proposed decisions.

Javier de la Torre jatorre at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 19:27:09 CEST 2010

Hi Michael,

The motivations for using one single table are to make things easier considering the little time we have to test things. That being said I see the following advantages

1) Simplicity. Not having to merge tables will reduce the problems pretty much, plus we will need less coordination asking people which tables we have to merge and so on.

2) No lack of flexibility, we are not thousands of developers. I dont see why everybody can not add whatever fields they want to the master table. Plus before adding if they ask, we might have it already and we reduce the work needed for doing mappings. We can have one single wiki page describing every field on the master table.

3) We get live data, no need for 20min refresh periods. We can create apps that visualize in real time how the data get entered. One of the interesting visualizations is to see things going on in real time.

But again, the biggest reason to me is to have to avoid merges of multiples tables, one per application. I prefer if we dont need to do integration with such little time ahead.

What do you see as the biggest problems for using one single table for everybody?

In any case. A combination of both can also work I have to say. Actually if someone uses his own fusion table that will be the same scenario as scrapping image from the EOL Flickr group.

Javier de la Torre
www.vizzuality.com