[tdwg-tag] Unresloved technical issues - proposed decisions.

Soaring Bear soaringbear at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 20:47:15 CEST 2010

>Feel free to suggest something different, if .....
>you believe that to not follow your suggestion would be a
>grave mistake.
<...>
>6. The table will contain Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order,
>and Family columns. Javier will write software to resolve
>identifications to the Catalog of Life

	Adding taxonomic hierarchy is imperative.  However, using Catalog of Life is likely to disappoint because it appears to be based on a relatively recent APG system which requires gene sequences which are NOT available for most plants, hence a huge number of plants landing in the category called "not assigned", causing a loss of information held in the centuries old Chronquist hierarchy.
see:
http://delta-intkey.com/angio/www/apg.htm
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/carr/pfamilies.htm

	There are advantages to APG if the classification usage is restricted to genetic work but it is not ready for prime time for other purposes.  Therefore, I recommend that the Chronquist scheme be used for plants.

Soaring Bear Ph.D. Pharmacology  soaringbear at yahoo.com
http://soaringbear.com/nature/WeedsforNeeds.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/presentations/bear_2005_aug/index.htm
author of http://HerbMed.org & http://HerbInsight.com