[tdwg-tag] Unresloved technical issues - proposed decisions.

joel sachs jsachs at csee.umbc.edu
Tue Aug 31 14:46:24 CEST 2010

Gregor -

I stole the "trophic level" field from the 300 Committee bioblitz data
sheet. They used a controlled vocabulary consisting of {primary producer
(pp); herbivore (h); primary carnivore (pc); higher-level carnivore (hc);
decomposer (d)}. It was pretty cool (for me) to see the shape of the food
web emerge (coloured pins on a poster board) as the observations came in.
Yes, those designations are attributes of species, don't really change
across ecosystems, and could, in theory, be assigned in post-processing.
But I liked having it in the form, as it encouraged thinking on the part
of observers.

An early draft of documentation for the data fields is here:
http://groups.google.com/group/tdwg-bioblitz/web/tdwg-bioblitz-profile-v1-1

I will post a revised version to the wiki. These will be guidelines; it is
up to the app developers to decide what fields they want to include, and
how to walk the line between completeness and simplicity. Essentially, the
data profile should be interpreted as saying "If you use fields with
these names, the following syntax and semantics will be assumed ..."

Best -
Joel.