[tdwg-tag] Re-organisation of TDWG Ontology: Danger silence will == acquiescence!

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Tue May 12 16:22:39 CEST 2009

As an aside, there is a technological aspect this approach which is
symptomatic of where TDWG finds itself at the moment.  Unless a
taxonomist speaks fluent OWL and owns and can drive a copy of Protege,
they will not able to participate, effectively excluding most
taxonomists on the planet.  (on second thought, this might actually be
a good thing...)

How do we propose to engage those who work daily with the 'bricks and
mortar' of taxonomy but who are just not equipped to understand what
is being done with and presented by the technology?  Or has the fabric
of taxonomy now finally become too important and to complicated to be
left to taxonomists?

Perhaps a translation of the ontologies into a non technical format
that taxonomists could read and comment on might be a way get greater
engagement from a wider range of taxonomists?  Given the opportunity
and the means, they might be able to offer significant narrative for
the vocabularies.  Or maybe not...

In the absence of a workable alternative to what is being proposed, I
too must offer silence...

jim