[tdwg-tag] Where to put LSIDs on tdwg ontology objects

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 18:10:33 CEST 2008

In our GBIF/EOL/Plazi SPM project, Terry Catapano and I have formed
the conclusion (I hope wrong...) that there is not any place on
several lsidvoc objects to hang an lsid (or any other GUID) asserted
to identify that object. For example, we don't see any place to put
one on a TaxonConcept or on a PublicationCitation. In the October 1
example at
 http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/SPM/PlaziEOLProject we have a
placeholder hack using

 <tc:TaxonConcept rdf:ID="_tc2">
        <tc:nameString xml:lang="en">Dodous bispinosus</tc:nameString>
         <tc:hasInformation
rdf:resource="urn:lsid:biosci.ohio-state.edu:osuc_concepts:143647"/>
  </tc:TaxonConcept>

but this is not valid in the tdwg ontology because hasInformation
requires an InfoItem as its object.

We use other objects that face this problem, e.g. TaxonName, and I
guess it is quite a broad issue (or not an issue at all if we are
wrong).

Can someone recommend a valid way to address this, either for these
three objects,  or preferably, in general? If so, thanks in advance.
If we are right, how about adding an InfoItem class named GUID, that
includes an enumeration of the usual suspects, suitably typed.

Bob

-
Robert A. Morris
Professor of Computer Science