[tdwg-tapir] Tapir protocol - Harvest methods?

Phil Cryer phil.cryer at mobot.org
Thu May 1 23:19:27 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 13:54 -0500, Renato De Giovanni wrote:
> Phil,
>
> Is the "DiGIR implementation that you want to move away from" just a
> DiGIR service? Or is it something else?
>
> I would only keep a parallel DiGIR service if there are older clients
> that can only talk to it and for some reason (time/resources) can't
> be updated. I'm not sure if this is your case.
>
> Also, when you said that you want to "test your implementation", did
> you mean that you want to test a TAPIR service, or is it some other
> application based on TAPIR? If you just want to test a TAPIR service,
> you could simply run TapirTester on it instead of developing your own
> harvester:
>
> http://tapir.tdwg.org/tester/

Thanks Renato, this does help.  For now I need to get DiGIR back up so
current users can hit it, I think I'm at that point now, but I want to
be able to hit it like the users do.  What would I do?  Just a simple
query within the web client window?  I assume that does the same
thing...still new to this.

As for Tapir, I have it setup and am mapping fields now, will hit the
tester soon.

Thanks

Phil

> Hope this helps,
> --
> Renato
>
> On 28 Apr 2008 at 10:39, Phil Cryer wrote:
> >
> > Just starting with Tapir/DiGIR - I have 2 questions:
> >
> > * I would like to know if the Tapir protocol is the preferred method
> > over DiGIR. We have a DiGIR implementation that we want to move away
> > from, and bring up a Tapir one in its place. Is this normal, or do
> > organizations run both to facilitate their older clients to do
> > harvesting?
> >
> > * What is a method to harvest data from Tapir, and/or DiGIR -we want
> > to do this internally to test our implementation before we open up
> > the world, how can I do this (we run Windows and Linux as clients)
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Phil
> > --
> > Phil Cryer