[tdwg-tapir] Fwd: Tapir protocol - Harvest methods? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Greg Whitbread ghw at anbg.gov.au
Wed May 14 00:39:05 CEST 2008

We have used a very similar protocol to assemble the latest AVH cache.
It should be noted that this is an as-well-as protocol that only works
because we have an established semantic standard (hispid/abcd).

greg

trobertson at gbif.org wrote:
> [...]
> currently:
>
> - Provider database load reduced, allowing it to serve real distributed
> queries rather than "full datasource" harvesters
> - Providers can choose to publish their index as it suits them, giving
> control back to the provider
> - Localised index generation can be built into tools not yet capable of
> integrating with TDWG protocol networks such as GBIF
> - Harvesters receive a full dataset view in one request, making it very
> easy to determine what records are eligible for deletion
> - It becomes very simple to write clients that consume entire datasets.
> E.g. data cleansing tools that the provider can run:
>   -  Give me ISO Country Codes for my dataset
>      -  The application pulls down the providers index file, generates ISO
> country code, returns a simple table using the providers own
> identifier
>   - Check my names for spelling mistakes
>     - Application skims over the records and provides a list that are not
> known to the application
>  - Providers such as UK NBN cannot serve 20 million records to the GBIF
> index using the existing protocols efficiently.
>   - They have the ability to generate a localised index however
> - Harvesters can very quickly build up searchable indexes and it is easy
> to create large indices.
>   - Node Portal can easily aggregate index data files
> - true index to data, not an illusion of a cache. More like Google sitemaps
>
> It is the ease at which one can offer tools to data providers that really
> interests me.  The technical threshold required to produce services that
> offer reporting tools on peoples data is really very low with this
> mechanism.  This and the fact that large datasets will be harvestable - we
> have even considered the likes of bit-torrent for the large ones although
> I think this is overkill.
>
> As a consumer therefore I fully support this move as a valuable addition
> to the wrapper tools.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim
> (wrote the GBIF harvesting, and new to this list)
>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: "Aaron D. Steele" <eightysteele at gmail.com>
>>> Date: 13 de mayo de 2008 22:40:09 GMT+02:00
>>> To: tdwg-tapir at lists.tdwg.org
>>> Cc: Aaron Steele <asteele at berkeley.edu>
>>> Subject: Re: [tdwg-tapir] Tapir protocol - Harvest methods?
>>>
>>> at berkeley we've recently prototyped a simple php program that uses
>>> an existing tapirlink installation to periodically dump tapir
>>> resources into a csv file. the solution is totally generic and can
>>> dump darwin core (and technically abcd schema, although it's currently
>>> untested). the resulting csv files are zip archived and made
>>> accessible using a web service. it's a simple approach that has proven
>>> to be, at least internally, quite reliable and useful.
>>>
>>> for example, several of our caching applications use the web service
>>> to harvest csv data from tapirlink resources using the following
>>> 1) download latest csv dump for a resource using the web service.
>>> 2) flush all locally cached records for the resource.