[tdwg-guid] Need for citation information in GUID metadata

Ryan Scherle res20 at duke.edu
Thu Nov 8 19:27:36 CET 2007

Disclaimer: I don't fully understand all of the issues involved here,
as I've only been looking at the biology standards for a few months.
I may be misinterpreting some of the points being made. However, I
have a good understanding of related standards in the library world,
so I hope my comments may be of use.

In my opinion, if you try to put too many external semantics on DC
data, you're going to run into many problems in the future, when you
interact with groups that have "regular" DC data. It is possible to
solve these issues with explicit metadata relationships using
existing metadata standards. Here is the metadata for an image object
in a repository I built recently:

     http://fedora.dlib.indiana.edu:8080/fedora/get/iudl:20008/METADATA

At first glance it looks long and complex, but it's relatively easy
to pick apart. The outer layer of metadata follows the METS schema,
which is a wrapper format for collecting together different types of
metadata.

The first inner object is a MODS record. MODS holds essentially the
same type of information as DC, but it allows for more detailed
descriptions. This record always describes the artifact in the image,
not the image itself. And a big advantage of MODS is that it allows
specification of the thumbnail URL that Greg was originally asking
about (in the <mods:url access="preview">). Note: It is possible to
include a DC representation as well as a MODS representation with a
single METS document.

After the MODS record are MIX records containing detailed technical
information about each of the image files.

Finally, the mets:fileSec and mets:structMap sections specify
relationships between the metadata sections and the actual files. In
this case, the hrefs are relative URLs, but they could easily be full
URLs or LSIDs.

Now, I'm not advocating that you dump RDF in favor of METS. My main
point is that explicitly separating the different types of metadata
may be useful. If you would like more information about the
specifics, let me know.

--- Ryan Scherle
--- Digital Data Repository Architect
--- NESCent