[tdwg-guid] TDWG LSID Resolver broken?

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Fri Nov 30 09:10:47 CET 2007

Dear Rich,

> Pyle, R.L. 2002. Pomacanthidae. pp. 3266-3286. In: Carpenter, K.E.
> and V.E.
> Niem (Eds.) Living marine resources of the western central
> Pacific.  Volume
> 5.  Bony fishes part 3 (Menidae to Pomacentridae). Food and
> Agriculture
> Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Rome. i-iv+2791-3379.
>
> ...there are at least three "levels" of publication:
>
> 1) Pyle, R.L. 2002. Pomacanthidae. pp. 3266-3286.
>
> 2) Carpenter, K.E. and V.E. Niem (Eds.) Living marine resources of the
> western central Pacific.  Volume 5.  Bony fishes part 3 (Menidae to
> Pomacentridae). Food and Agriculture Organization of the United
> Nations
> (FAO), Rome. i-iv+2791-3379.
>
> 3) Carpenter, K.E. and V.E. Niem (Eds.) FAO species identification
> guide for
> fishery purposes: Living marine resources of the western central
> Pacific.
> Vols. 1-6. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
> (FAO),
> Rome. xl+4218 pp.
>
> Granted, some might argue that number 3 is not really a separate
> citable
> "unit", but given that it is a single page number series, I would
> argue that
> it is.
>
> So...if we wanted to cite specifically Pyle 2002, the
> parentCitationString
> might simply be the contents of of #2 above; or it might have two
> nested
> parents (a parent, and agrand parent).
>
> As I said before, I'm leaning towards the simpler solution.

Isn't this over engineering things a little? Don't you just need a
GUID for the chapter (1), and a GUID for the book (2)? For the latter
we have an ISBN (9251043879), so there's already a GUID for that.  I
don't think we gain much from (3). Furthermore, if we use the ISBN as
the GUID we know the items are linked because they share the same
publisher code.

> As for the ZooBank LSID resolver -- at this point in time
> conformance trumps
> optimization (so we can all get off our collective arses and serve
> content)
> -- so I'm just woking with what's up there now.  If I'm resolving
> LSIDs, and
> I'm doing so because of TDWG standards, then I ought to conform to
> existing
> TDWG standards on vocabularies -- right or wrong.  What we need to
> do is
> update the TDWG standards on this (which the St. Lousi meeting was
> attempting to accomplish), so we can conform *and* optimize!

The TDWG standard should need to be expanded to handle other kinds of
GUIDs, notably Handles, which are being widely used in Digital
Repositories.

Regards

Rod

> Aloha,