[tdwg-tag] Re: TDM Ontology

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Tue May 8 10:35:22 CEST 2007

Renato,

Thanks for your comments. That is an interesting view of the problem
and I think you may be  correct for the supplier databases (though I
don't have first hand knowledge of these database schemas). Generally
the nearer the exchange format is to the supplier's schema the easier
it will be for them to publish. Taking the approach Markus suggests
would produce the result you are after I believe.

There is just one problem that you didn't address.

Who wants to consume the data and what do they want to do with it?

To have something that is easy to produce, easy to consume and easy
to extend is more or less impossible. There has to be some pain
somewhere!

What is your vision of a client application? How would it handle
elements it hadn't seen before - or is this not a requirement?

All the best,

Roger