[tdwg-tag] Re: TDM Ontology

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Tue May 8 22:25:45 CEST 2007

Hi Roger,

I'm not sure I share this vision of a "law of conservation of pain".
It's true that one of the points in the other message was to ease the
process of sharing data, but this doesn't mean that clients will
necessarily have trouble (I hope not!).

>>>From the TAPIR perspective, we handle extensibility by allowing
providers to work with multiple conceptual schemas. If you produce a
list of concepts from the TDM terms, anyone is free to produce other
complementary lists in the future, without breaking compatibility.

You know that in TAPIR it's also possible to produce outputs in
different XML formats, even RDF. This should facilitate the work of
clients.

I suppose that clients will usually request data in formats that
include elements that they know something about. But anyway, nothing
prevents them to request things that they don't have any knowledge
about. The TapirLink browser that I demonstrated during the TAPIR
workshop is one of those clients: it dynamically builds an output
model based on what the provider declared to have, and it simply
displays this data in a tabular form.

Now let's assume that we decide to work with a generic conceptual
schema with two main concepts, category of InfoItem and InfoItem
value. Let's also assume that providers will be able to easily share
their data according to this conceptual model. In TAPIR, the output
formats will be very limited - they will need to follow this generic
approach. But let's suppose that this will not be a problem.
What is going to happen is that clients will get amost anything from
there - basically values of things that can be categorised in many
ways. If clients want to perform validation they will need to do it
themselves (the output format will be too generic, so we cannot use
XML validation). Perhaps RDF validation will offer more
possibilities, but then you're only considering data exchange in an
RDF world. The meaning of InfoItems you would get from a dictionary
of categories, in the same way that you could get the meaning of
elements from a dictionary (DarwinCore for instance, or some
ontology).

In this case, it's not clear to me what would be the big benefits of
using the generic model approach, but maybe I'm missing something.
The more knowledge you have about the elements or concepts, the more
interesting and powerful the applications will be. It's a
philosophical issue.

If we decide to avoid the more "traditional" way of structuring and
modelling data because we feel it somehow limits our applications,
then I think we first need to clearly understand what are these
limitations. Otherwise, by doing things in a very different way we
may miss the opportunity of using existing tools and resources - but
still running the risk of facing again in a different road the same
data structuring issues that we tried to avoid.

Best Wishes,
--
Renato

PS: I'm sorry for crossposting. I'll send any follow-ups only to the