[tdwg-guid] First step in implementing LSIDs

Donald Hobern dhobern at gbif.org
Tue Jun 12 23:22:00 CEST 2007

I wish I had time to contribute to all of this properly - next month
after our portal launch I should.  My quick take on this is that a
proxified LSID is not to be treated as a GUID.  A proxy's
responsibility should simply be to retrieve the data for an LSID.

I recognise that there are still many concerns (often mutually
contradictory) about how this LSID infrastructure can and will
actually work out.  Right now, however, we have a significant number
of projects of different sizes all setting up LSIDs and LSID
resolution for their data, mostly in time for the meeting in
Bratislava.  I believe that we should seek to document all of these
experiences to determine the success of the approach.  As I suggested
before the current proposal to use a proxy in certain contexts is an
attempt to address a range of specific concerns about some aspects of
the standard, but should also give us the opportunity to switch
smoothly to an HTTP URI-based approach if that ultimately does seem
more sensible.

I think the critical thing is for us to respond to the call Chuck
issued earlier to have some kind of "Bratislava Declaration" that
provides a clear and coherent statement of how and when to use LSIDs
- I will make it a priority in July to contribute to producing such a
statement.  Most of the constituent parts already exist, but they
clearly need better packaging and some fine tuning.

Thanks,

Donald
Donald Hobern (dhobern at gbif.org)
Deputy Director for Informatics
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321483   Mobile: +45-28751483   Fax: +45-35321480